If you’re here for a few days or a couple of weeks, then why not explore the city a little? It’s a great way of taking your mind off of all the IVF stress and there’s lots to explore. Gotobrno is a good place to find out more info on everything you can get up to while you’re here.
Here are some of our favourite places.
- Brno Reservoir This is a lovely place to come in Summer. It’s in the north of the city and there are direct trams from town. It’s very popular with locals and you’ll find lots of restaurants, cafes and bars there. You can get on the boat which runs regular trips up and down the reservoir – tickets are super cheap (around £1.50 return to go 4 stops). You can get off at different places and go on hikes, sunbathe, paddle board, swim, hire a pedalo etc.
- Hrad Veveri is a medieval castle and is located right by the reservoir. You can get the boat there. It’s a beautiful quiet place to walk around. When we went it was free to get in but I believe it usually costs 30kc.
- Cat Cafe – Kocici Pelisek. If you love cats (or have a child who does) then this is a lovely coffee shop to visit. They tend to have between 6-10 cats at any point and they can roam freely in the cafe. The cats have all been rescued and are up for adoption. We love this place because the kitties are sweet and the cakes are good!
- Galerie Vankovka is a shopping mall just behind the main train station. Lots of shops for some retail therapy, a food court and also a great place to cool down if you’re looking for some air con!
- There is a cinema in town which shows films in English. It’s called OC VELKÝ ŠPALÍČEK. You can see which films are in English and have Czech subtitles on their website.
- There is an open garden in the city which is open in the Summer. I haven’t been yet but plan to visit soon. It is called Otevřená zahrada and looks to be a nice place to mooch around.
- If you come in Winter then there are 3 or 4 ice rinks that appear in town. The easiest one to get to is right under the statue of the giant horse. It’s open between November – March and is really affordable to rent skates and skate for a 2 hour session. https://www.gotobrno.cz/en/events/bruslak-ice-rink/
- Vida! is Brno’s science museum and it’s about a 15 minute walk from the clinic. (Around 15 minute tram from town). It’s great for kids and you can easily spend 2-3 hours there. It’s an interactive museum and some of the exhibits have English translations.